STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Parent Engagement Network supports the College in providing a just and inclusive educational environment, fostering excellence through innovation and opening minds through learning experiences.
The group offers parents, guardians and friends an inclusive and engaging environment to gather and be informed, whilst contributing to the education of our sons. The group also supports and plans activities in line with strategic priorities, College values and student wellbeing.
- To support and assist the College in providing a Catholic secondary education for its students.
- To foster the engagement of the parents, guardians and friends through their association with the College.
- To provide the opportunity for parents, guardians and friends to support and contribute to the development of College Policy and future planning.
- To conduct inclusive forums for the St Bernard’s Community to freely discuss issues affecting education, college activities and student well-being, in accordance with strategic priorities and college values.
- To support the College in engaging the St Bernard’s community through the promotion of and participation in College functions.
- To administer donated funds in a prudent and considered manner consistent with College expectations.
The College provides the Parents Engagement Network with funds, paid by parents, at the beginning of each year to enable the Group to undertake activities. The Group fulfils its purpose and achieves its objectives by undertaking a number of key activities, which include;
- Administration and oversight of a small grants program,
- Organising guests to speak on issues affecting education, student well-being and inform about college activities,
- Provide financial support to other volunteer groups,
- As a representative group, provide feedback to the College on the Strategic Plan. The Group may also be consulted on other matters the College deems relevant as they arise.
The Parents Engagement Network meets regularly throughout the year. Meetings commence at 7.00 pm and run for not more than 90 minutes. The Group does not formally meet in January or December or in any school holiday periods.
There are five elected positions, which are finalised at the AGM each year. The five positions are;
- Vice President
- Advisory Forum Representative
Elected positions are spilled each year, with maximum terms of 2 concurrent years for each postion. Members who have been actively involved in the Group are entitled to provide an absentee vote if unable to attend the AGM.
All parents and friends of students at the College are invited to the Parent Engagement Network meetings held in the Peter Hogan Board Room at 7.00pm on the dates shown below. Topics of interest to the parent body are discussed, issues are invited from those present, a report on behalf of the College is given by David Formosa, Director of Development, and planning for future events occurs.
2019 MEETING DATES
- 11 February 2019
- 18 March 2019
- 29 April 2019
- 20 May 2019
- 17 June 2019
- 19 August 2019
- 9 September 2019
- 14 October 2019
- 11 November 2019 AGM
PARENTS & FRIENDS COMMITTEE MEMBERS 2018:
- President: Anne Maree Szauer
- Vice President: Janelle Williams-Hurley
- Secretary: Vicki Hoban and Josie Iaria
- Treasurer: Lara Bennett Cheshire
- Advisory Forum Representative: Tonette DeNardi and Sue Lesnjak
- Development Manager (College Representative): David Formosa